Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sustainability is the responsible management of resources to provide for needs at a maintained level that avoids depleting natural resources.
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization defines sustainability with five key principles.
- Improved Resilience
- The ability to withstand extremes, volatility, and other forms of adversity. This adversity can be found in weather, markets, and social structures.
- Enhanced and Efficient Use of Resources
- Improved Rural Livelihoods, Equity, and Social Well-Being
- Ensures equality and general social well-being of the rural community. Encourage participation, independent of gender or other attributes, provide equity in employment, access to markets, financial aid, education, and other facets.
- Natural Resources Conservation Measures
- Conservation of natural resources to provide for future needs.
- Availability of Responsible and Effective Governance Mechanisms
- Entrenching sustainability policies.